Everyone’s talking about cult beauty products (and those that have the potential to become cult classics) lately. But despite all of the articles out there, I almost never find some of my personal favorites listed. I get it, there are dozens upon dozens of amazing beauty products and it’s impossible for even the most dedicated beauty junkie to try them all. I’m a perfect example of this: I have yet to try NARS Orgasm blush or Rodin’s very pricey face oil, but that’s mostly because I’m content with my Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour blush and Boscia Tsubaki Oil. With New York Fashion Week coming up, I’m evaluating which beauty products I’ll be taking with me to stay polished at the shows, and to my surprise almost all of them are products I discovered through Birchbox. So, thanks Birchbox, you have great taste! Read on for my roundup of beauty products that I think are deserving of cult status – and best of all, they’re all under $50.
1. Makeup remover towelettes have, rightfully, come under fire for irritating skin and encouraging lazy beauty habits like not washing your face before bed (no shame, we’re all guilty of it). And while, makeup remover should never be a substitute for your cleanser, there’s one little known product that allows you to get away with it. Enter: Cailyn Cosmetics Dizzolv’It makeup melt cleansing balm, which I discovered a few Birchboxes ago. Unlike other makeup removers, Dizzolv’It dissolves dirt and waterproof makeup, without stripping or drying skin. The balm is so gentle, you can rub it all over your smokey eye makeup without even losing an eyelash. Once you try this gem, you’ll never go back to the makeup remover wipes.
2. How did I ever leave the house without a highlighter? Namely, W3ll People’s brightening stick, which gives the illusion of a full night’s sleep when you’ve only had four. Swipe over your brow bone, cheekbones, and cupid’s bow for a natural “I woke up like Queen Bey and Gigi Hadid” glow.
3. I never thought I’d get so obsessed with a beauty product as mundane as a body lotion, but thanks to Perlier’s white almond body butter I am. From its intoxicating almond scent that resembles an Italian bakery to its soothing, moisturizing qualities that keep me hydrated all day long, this body butter takes the cake for protecting skin from the polar vortex. When I first found this in my Birchbox I thought “Oh great, another body lotion. Why does Birchbox keep sending me one every month?” Now I can’t wait to use my Birchbox points to purchase it.
4. Beauty bloggers and editors love to talk about the best red matte lipstick, but I rarely see this hidden gem from Mirenesse mentioned. Sure, it functions more like a stain than a lipstick, but that’s all the more reason it’s a winner – the velvety finish lasts all day regardless of how much you eat or drink, and unlike a lot of matte lipsticks, this one doesn’t dry out your lips (a plus in the winter). Here’s a photo of me wearing the lip stain; the color is Sydney.
5. Give me a highly pigmented mascara that doesn’t flake or clump and I’ll be faithful forever. Bobbi Brown’s smokey eye mascara does just that. As someone who loyally used Maybelline mascara for years, I always thought spending over $10 on a mascara was ridiculous, but I now stand corrected. This mascara adds an incomparable oomph that makes it a must-have for your beauty arsenal.
Ok, I realize my opinion isn’t the only one that matters. Let me know what beauty products you think are deserving of a cult following.